Monday, December 11, 2023

Old Mac OS vs New Camera RAW Format

Finally I hit the brick wall of old vs new. My ten-year-old 2013 Mac Pro laptop can only be updated to Mac OS 10.15 Catalina. At purchase, the laptop ran Mac OS 10.9 known as Mavericks. So it is stuck well below the newer versions of Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and, currently, Sonoma. 

Many of the applications I use on the laptop easily can save files to iCloud Drive to be opened on my newer Mac computer for final touchups. But this month I learned that NEF RAW images from my Nikon Zfc were not visible to any application including the Finder. 

Lesson #1 - When on a road trip with 2013 Mac Pro laptop, change Nikon settings to shoot RAW + JPEG. Then some images can be previewed, sorted and ranked - even shared. 

Lesson #2 - The Nikon Snapbridge iPhone app can come to the rescue and transfer a 2 megapixel, low resolution, image to iPhone or iPad for edits or sharing over an adhoc wifi connection. 

Lesson #3 - Consider budgeting for a new laptop after evaluating how an iPad Pro with USB-C port can power an SSD and the apps needed to edit Nikon's NEF files. Maybe begin budgeting for a new iPad Pro.